Let’s see if Congress understands what ‘people pressure’ is all about. Are you ready to make a big change? All we need is ‘people power’ to make this happen. Did you know we can change rules in Congress? Yes, you and I can make a difference. It actually isn’t difficult at all. It’s simple!
With all of us working for a common goal, we can change the following:
Salary of retired US Presidents: $180,000 FOR LIFE (?)
Salary of House/Senate members: $174,000 FOR LIFE (?)
This is foolish. No one should be paid for life.
Salary of Speaker of the House: $223,500 FOR LIFE (?)
This is really high for those who don’t really do much and it’s ridiculous that they are paid for life.
Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders: $193,400 FOR LIFE (?)
Average Salary of a teacher: $40,065
Average Salary of a deployed Soldier: $38,000
There is room for cuts. Here’s where the cuts should/could be made!
Congressional Reform Act of 2017
1. No Tenure/No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present, and future) participates in Social Security.
*All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI (Consumer Price Indexes) or 3%.
5. Congress and their staffs uses their current health care system that includes the ‘business plan’ that gives the tax payers the responsibility to pay for their healthcare. They must participate in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective immediately. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
Congress has made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and go back to work.
President Trump, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling, “I could end the deficit in five minutes,” he told CNBC. “You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.”
The 26th Amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only three months and eight days to be ratified! Why? It’s very simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971, before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc..
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land, all because of public pressure.
President Trump is asking for the people to demand that this list be instated.
Let’s use ‘public pressure’ and get this done. Call your Congressmen/women and demand it.
Take action, you deserve it!